Thursday, November 13, 2008

Emery Awards Dinner






Its that time of the year again when one of my favorite fall events takes place. This past Tuesday I went to the Hetrick Martin Institute, Inc.'s Emery Awards Dinner held at Cipriani's on 42nd Street. This is the very same HMI whose Fall Fest was profiled here almost two months ago. HMI is the city's and arguably the nation's premier youth-GLBT oriented agency dedicated to educating and protecting youth at risk in the GLBT community. I would encourage you all to go into their website and read about their work and maybe even make a contribution. There is even a live auction right on the site that will help raise funds for the organization's amazing programs.

http://www.hmi.org/



I had as my personal invitees Roger Rodriguez, William Adriance and the beautiful and lovely Quinta (Quin) Chia. I knew that the chemistry of this group would be fun because Roger is just the life of the party and William brings a fresh perspective to these events. While I had just met Quin, she immediately struck me as the kind of person whomakes these types of events way memorable with her quips and smile. I want to start off by thanking them for accepting my invite and making the night a success.





We me in my office. For those of you unfamiliar with where i work, I am on a 45th floor--Penthouse floor. The view of the city is striking and from the other side you have a birds eye view of Rockefeller Center. It night, the view is even more breath taking. Roger and I rode into the city together and William joined us, with Quin arriving soon after. Both got dressed and with in minutes we were ready to walk the red Carpet. It was a warm and clear night so we strolled to the venue. William had gone by early in the afternoon and peeked inside so he advised us that it was really laid out.




When we entered, waiters greeted us with flute crystal glasses filled with bellinis. It was going to be a great evening. I met friends I had not seen in months and as we entered the grand ballroom, you could feel the energy in the air. The tables were beautifully set with unique centerpieces that had balls of flowers floating in water in a square crystal vase. Roasted shrimp on a bed of asparagus was the appetizer. I asked for Malbec as did Quin. William and Roger opted for the Chardonnay.



My dear friend, Thomas Krever--the executive director of HMI, Inc.--opened with remarks. He really got the attendees going and the evening started with Tim Gunn being the MC. Singer EVE read a speech and call upon everyone to support the work that HMI performs. It was followed by a performance by Cheyenne and then the acceptance speech by Mary Louise Parker. I managed to get my picture taken with Cheyenne, Eve and BD Wong who also was in attendance in support of the agency. I hope that next year I can grow the support I give to the agency.



The main course of the evening was roast beef with polenta. The dessert was a choice between chocolate mousse cake or cheese cake... which would have you chosen. I loved the fact that Quin was so funny and that she kept me company most of the night especially since the kids were off and about being kids. Roger wore so much bling that I thought we would be blinded... over $125K worth of jewelry. The best part of the evening was the after party, dancing with Bianca del Rio, Mme Chia and then Roger. I have great friends and it was really fun spending time with them and making new friends (Quin). I cant wait for the next event and I will definitely have Quin there--she made the night!

No comments: